Last night by 4-year old asked for a “big breakfast tomorrow morning”. I asked what he wanted for this big breakfast. First he said french toast, then changed his mind to chocolate chip muffins.
We found a delicious peanut butter chocolate chip muffin recipe that uses Greek yogurt, so between the peanut butter and yogurt, I think there’s probably a good amount of protein. And they are very filling!
Peanut Butter Muffins with Chocolate Chips
Ingredients (for 12 muffins):
- 1 C. whole wheat flour
- 1 C. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/3 C. brown sugar
- 1/2 C. plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 C. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 C. peanut butter, melted and cooled
- 2/3 C. milk
- 3/4 C. chocolate chips (I mostly used mini chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a muffin pan.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg, brown sugar and Greek yogurt. Then whisk in the melted and cooled (cool enough so it doesn’t cook the egg when you stir it in) butter and peanut butter. Once it is all smooth and creamy, whisk in the milk.
- With a spoon, stir in the flour mixture and chocolate chips, just until moistened.
- Put about 1/4 C. of the batter in each muffin cup. I had a little extra batter, so just evenly divided it between the muffin cups. Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until done.
- Let cool for about 5-10 minutes before removing from the muffin pan.
We enjoyed these muffins with applesauce on the side. I totally would have loved a glass of milk too, but we used the last bit in the muffin batter! So we had water instead.
*Inspired by THIS recipe.