This is my third day trying out a dairy free diet. Our mini pumpkin patch in the backyard has been giving us so many lovely pumpkins and we are trying to get some good use out of them 🙂 Today’s dairy free dessert: Coconut Pumpkin Pie with a coconut oil crust.
This pie was quick and easy to throw together. I guess it helped that I already had a ziploc bag with the pumpkin puree ready to use. The crust requires no cutting in butter and no rolling out. Our house smells like Autumn spice and August isn’t even over yet 🙂
Coconut Pumpkin Pie Filling and Crust
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 C. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 2 C. pumpkin puree (or a 15 oz can of pumpkin puree)
- 1 C. unsweetened vanilla coconut milk
- 1/4 C. thick coconut cream – not the watery liquid part. Just the thick cream. (use the rest of the thick cream in the can to make a whipped topping for the pie… see below! And save the liquid to add to smoothies later)
- 1 1/2 C. plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 or 3/4 tsp. salt (I used 3/4 and it was fine, but I might reduce to 1/2 next time)
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened vanilla coconut milk
- 1/2 C. melted coconut oil
Whipped Coconut Cream Topping:
Whip together the leftover thick coconut cream (not the liquid) with 1/2 C. powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp. vanilla until smooth. Serve immediately over pie, or refrigerate until ready to use (it might harden in the refrigerator, so just take it out a few minutes before serving so it can soften a bit).
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Put a 9 1/2 inch glass pie plate on top of a rimmed cookie sheet and set aside.
- In a medium/large mixing bowl, beat together all of the filling ingredients with an electric mixer. Set aside.
- For the crust, stir together using a fork, the flour, sugar and salt right there in the glass pie dish. Add the coconut milk and melted coconut oil. Stir together with fork until it forms a dough. Use your fingers to gently press the dough evenly onto the bottom and sides of the pie dish.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake in the oven at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes. Then, reduce the heat to 350 degrees F. and bake for one hour more. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature. Then refrigerate overnight.
- Serve coconut pumpkin pie topped with Whipped Coconut Cream Topping if desired.