Cranberry Streusel Shortbread Bars are the perfect holiday dessert and even make a festive doorstep gift for friends and neighbors.
For the Crust and Streusel:
- 10-1/2 oz (1 C. plus 5 Tbsp.) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to just warm
- 1 C. white sugar
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 14-1/4 oz (3 C. plus 3 Tbsp.) all-purpose flour
For the Cranberry Topping:
- 12 oz bag fresh or frozen cranberries, picked over, rinsed, and drained
- 3/4 C. granulated sugar
- 1/4 C. water
- 1/3 C. orange juice
- Line a 13×9 inch baking pan with foil, letting the ends hang over the edges a little bit for easy removal. In a medium bowl, stir together the butter, 1/2 C. of the sugar, and the salt. Stir in the egg yolks, and then the flour. Transfer 2 C. of the prepared dough to the foiled pan and press evenly onto the bottom of the pan, creating the crust. Prick the dough all over with a fork. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or freeze for 7 minutes to firm it up.
- Position oven racks with one in the center and another near the top. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake the dough for about 15 -20 minutes.
- To make the streusel topping , add 1/4 C. white sugar to the rest of the dough and mix with fingers. Set aside.
- To make the cranberry topping, Combine cranberries with 1/4 C. water, 1/3 C. orange juice and 3/4 C. white sugar in a medium pot. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium/medium-high, and let simmer for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let mixture cool/thicken for about 5-10 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Spread the cranberry topping evenly over the crust. Sprinkle evenly with the streusel topping (but try not to crumble it too much).
- Bake at 350 degrees F. near the top of the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the streusel is golden.
- Let cool for about 1 hour. Remove the bars from the pan by lifting on the edges of the foil. Carefully transfer to a large cutting board and cut into square bars.
*Inspired by THIS recipe.