This soft gingerbread cake will help invite the holiday season into your home : )
And it’s delicious— my husband even loved it even though he knew we used a lot of whole wheat flour to make them!
- 1 C. Grandma’s molasses (I used 3/4 C. Grandma’s molasses, 1 Tbsp. black strap molasses, and 1/4 C. extra brown sugar)
- 1 C. brown sugar
- 3/4 C. oil (I use Canola)
- 3 eggs
- 1 C. milk
- 2 C. whole wheat flour
- 1 C. white flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix wet ingredients.
- Sift in dry ingredient and mix.
- Pour into two circular, greased and floured, 9-inch cake pans.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Serve with whipped cream as a dessert or in a bowl with milk for a sweet breakfast.
*Next time I make this soft gingerbread I might try adding a little applesauce to make it turn out more moist.
**This recipe came from my mom, and she said the original recipe came from a cookbook called “Wheat for Man” that my grandma and great-grandma both used.