Brazilian rice with ground beef is a simple meal, but very tasty. This recipe was quick and easy, and it even passed the picky eater test!
Brazilian Rice with Ground Beef
Ingredients (about 4 servings):
- 1 C. enriched long grain rice (uncooked)
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 4 Tbsp. chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 C. hot water
- about 1 or 1 1/2 C. cooked ground beef
- about 1 pinch ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a pot or pan (with tight fitting lid) to medium-high heat. Add oil.
- Add onions and cook for about 1 minute. Add garlic and cook until garlic starts turning light brown.
- Add uncooked rice and salt. Mix frequently so nothing burns. Continue cooking until rice starts turning light brown.
- Add water. Stir. Place tight fitting lid on pan/pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Let cook for about 18-20 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- Set aside, but keep lid on until ready to serve.
- Heat the cooked ground beef. Add cumin, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Serve rice topped with ground beef mixture. Goes great with steamed carrots!
*Inspired by THIS recipe.