This recipe is one I threw together last minute before lunch. It’s one of those days where we really should go grocery shopping, but don’t desperately need to quite yet. I wanted to use up a few odds and ends before buying more food.
The pasta with black beans turned out so flavorful even though it was very simple. I did add the optional cheese and cilantro, so that may have contributed to the delicious taste. The rest of my family didn’t add those optional ingredients, and still enjoyed the meal (playing Don’t Eat Pete helped my kids try and finish their black beans, even though they refused to try them at first).
Vegetarian Meal: Pasta with Black Beans
Ingredients (serves 4):
- about 4 C. cooked Barilla Protein Plus Elbow pasta, tossed with a little extra virgin olive oil and salt (we used leftover pasta from another night, so it was already made and we just warmed it up in the microwave)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- a drizzle of light olive oil
- 1 small/medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds discarded and the green part chopped
- salt to taste
- optional: chopped cilantro
- optional: grated cheese
- Heat a small/medium skillet to medium heat. Add the drizzle of light olive oil and swirl around the bottom of the skillet.
- When the olive oil is hot, add the chopped onions and chopped jalapeno. Saute for about 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Stir in the rinsed and drained black beans. Cook on low for a few minutes until the beans are heated through. Add salt to taste.
- Serve this black bean mixture on top of the pasta. If desired, sprinkle some grated cheese and chopped cilantro on top.
We ate this pasta with black beans with a side of fresh bell pepper slices.