This is a healthier version of chocolate zucchini bread (uses half whole wheat flour, not as much sugar as some other recipes, lots of zucchini and some Greek yogurt for extra protein and moisture). BUT… it tastes like a very moist chocolate cake. My kind of snack 🙂
This recipe makes 2 (9×5 inch) loaves, but if you just want one loaf, halve the recipe. But trust me, it disappears quickly so you’ll probably want to make two loaves!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Ingredients (makes 2 (9×5 inch) loaves):
- 1 C. whole wheat flour
- 1 C. all-purpose flour
- 1 C. unsweetened cocoa powder (I used more like 3/4 C and it was still enough)
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 C. grated zucchini (washed and with peels on)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 C. Canola oil
- 1/2 C. plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 C. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Place two 9×5 inch loaf pans on a cookie sheet. Lightly spray each loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt and chocolate chips.
- Grate the zucchini and place on paper towels or a clean dish towel. Gently press the paper towel or dish towel on top of the zucchini to help get out some of the liquid. Not all of the liquid, just some. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, Greek yogurt, sugar and vanilla.
- Whisk the wet mixture into the bowl with the dry mixture until moistened. With a spoon, fold in the zucchini. Pour into bread pans evenly. Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean, with a few moist crumbs (45 minutes worked perfectly for us).
- Let bread cool about 10 minutes. Gently get the loaves out of the bread pans and onto a plate or cutting board or other flat surface. Let cool, then slice and serve.
Goes great with a cold glass of milk!
*Inspired by THIS recipe.