We made some delicious vegetable chicken soup tonight but wanted to make some biscuits to go with it. I almost made THESE yummy baking powder biscuits, but decided to try out a biscuit recipe that had some whole wheat flour in it. I’m not quite ready to do a full on pure whole wheat biscuit recipe, but half and half is a good start. 🙂
Along with having some whole wheat in these biscuits, the recipe calls for butter instead of shortening, so it’s a little healthier than those baking powder biscuits I almost made. I feel like this is a great recipe to keep in our biweekly or monthly recipe rotation (if I ever get organized enough to actually make a rotation list for us).
These whole wheat biscuits are fluffy and flaky. They taste great and although we ate them with soup tonight, I think they’d be just as good as a breakfast or snack biscuit with a little butter and jam.
Fluffy Whole Wheat Biscuits Recipe
Ingredients (12 biscuits):
- 1 C. whole wheat flour
- 1 C. all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt (you can use about 3/4 tsp. salt if you use unsalted butter)
- 1/4 C. butter, room temperature
- 3/4 C. buttermilk or milk (just add about 1 Tbsp. lemon juice or distilled white vinegar to the milk to make a buttermilk substitute.)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Cut the butter in with a knife until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Stir in milk/buttermilk just until moistened.
- Gently shape dough into 3/4 inch thick and about 2 or 2 1/2 inch in diameter circles and place onto lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, or until lightly golden brown around the edges.
Serve the biscuits fresh out of the oven with a little butter to spread on them. Goes great with vegetable chicken soup!
*Inspired by THIS recipe.