Most of the recipes on this site are edible. Even the last playdough recipe I posted— Peanut Butter Playdough!
This Homemade Playdough recipe can be edible, but I don’t think anyone’s going to eat very much of it. 🙂 Salty. Very salty.
My kids recently completed a no-video month. It all started with a no-video week. The results were amazing and I just couldn’t go back to letting them watch videos after only one week. I feel like their creativity and cheerfulness rocketed during that month. Although I sometimes now let them watch a little bit each day, their expectations for watching videos have been reset and they are more excited about learning and playing (and they’ve even developed an interest in yoga!)
I have also had to use more creativity coming up with more outings, projects, and activities for us to do during the day. We had a lot of fun making homemade playdough and squishing in the food coloring and essential oils to make it super cool homemade playdough.
Homemade Playdough Recipe
Ingredients (makes quite a bit!):
- 2 1/2 C. salt (I used a whole 26 oz. container, which is a tad shy of 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 Tbsp. Cream of Tartar
- 5 C. water
- 2/3 C. vegetable oil
- 5 C. all-purpose flour
- optional: food coloring and/or essential oils for scent
- In a large pot, mix together salt, cream of tartar, and water. Turn heat to medium-low and stir every few minutes until water is hot (don’t worry, no need for a boil).
- Stir in the vegetable oil.
- Add the flour, one cup at a time, stirring after each cup is added. Mix until dough pulls away from the side of the pot and is no longer sticky.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Knead in a few drops of your desired food coloring and/or essential oils to get the color and scent you want.
I am storing our playdough in Ziploc bags. We made seven different colors, each with their own scent. Here they are if you’re interested:
- Yellow- lemon
- Green- lime
- Blue- eucalyptus
- Purple- lavender (I added blue and red to make the purple, and at first it really looked like a gray storm cloud! I was a little disappointed, but after a few hours it magically turned a real purple color!)
- Red- peppermint
- Orange- grapefruit
- Brown – Bergamot
*Inspired by THIS recipe.