I made Ground Beef Stroganoff a while ago and loved it! This time we tried a ground turkey stroganoff, and I omitted the mushrooms (my kids don’t like the texture sometimes) and added finely chopped zucchini and carrots instead. Other than that, I followed the recipe closely and didn’t even bother buying sour cream this time since it wasn’t missed last time. 🙂
Ground Turkey Stroganoff with Vegetables Recipe
Ingredients (about 6-8 servings):
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1-2 carrots (or about 8 baby carrots), chopped small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.25 lbs. lean ground turkey
- 2 zucchinis, chopped small
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 c. milk
- 2 C. beef broth
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooked egg noodles or rice for serving (I usually use the medium-sized egg noodles).
- Heat oil to medium-high heat. Saute onion for about 2 minutes. Add carrots and garlic and saute for another 2-3 minutes. Scoot veggies to the edges of the pan to make room in the middle for the ground turkey.
2. Add ground turkey and cook, mixing occasionally, until thoroughly cooked. Then add the chopped zucchini, and cook, stirring frequently, for a few minutes until the zucchini is tender. At this point, you can scoop some of the mixture out and save it for any picky eaters who won’t eat creamy sauces on their dinner. 🙂 Or you can use it as a side dish next to a baked potato. This mixture tastes great, is colorful, and healthy.
But for those of you who DO like creamy sauces on your dinner, please continue reading.
3. Cut the cream cheese into a few smaller chunks, and let the chunks sit in the turkey/vegetable mixture for a couple minutes to soften. Combine the milk and beef broth in a separate bowl. Whisk in the flour until there are no more lumps.
4. Stir the softened cream cheese into the turkey/vegetable mixture. Stir in the milk/broth mixture and bring to a light boil. Let boil, stirring every minute or so, for about 3 minutes, or until it thickens up a little.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve over cooked egg noodles or rice.
Enjoy your ground turkey stroganoff with vegetables!
*Inspired by THIS recipe.