Although fry bread is absolutely amazing, fast, and easy to make, I decided to try baking the bread instead to avoid making a mess with the whole frying process and, not to mention, I was trying to be a little bit healthier! My husband and I both thought it turned out great and we were happy to not have the oil in the air stinging our eyes and hovering in our kitchen for the next several days. It was also easier, faster, and less messy to bake the bread!
Ingredients for baked fry bread (4 servings):
- 1 C. white flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. powdered milk
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 c. water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together the dry ingredients.
- Add water and mix (try not to over-mix so that they still turn out nice and fluffy). Form a ball.
- Divide into 4 sections and flatten out into sections that look similar to pancakes. They don’t have to be perfect. It may help to sprinkle a little flour on top if they are too sticky to handle.
- Set the 4 pieces in a greased baking pan (I like this one) and bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Turn the oven off after 10 minutes (make sure the center of each piece is not doughy), but you can keep the bread in there until you are ready to serve dinner so they stay warm.
- chili (or MASHED BEANS)
- sour cream
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes