One thing I never knew until I met my husband: raw potatoes can be cooked in the microwave! It only takes about 5 minutes and tastes like a baked potato!
My husband and I met in college. I hadn’t eaten a “baked” potato for a long time because I thought it would need to be baked in the oven, and when I was cooking for just myself, it didn’t seem right to have the oven on for so long to cook one potato.
But this guy I married sure impressed me with his microwave skills back then! And when he put chili and cheese on top, it was such a warm, filling, delicious meal. We ate it pretty often, and still enjoy chili cheese baked potatoes today. Although now that we have a couple kids, the oven is probably more economical. 🙂
Ingredients (1 serving):
- 1 Russet potato, scrubbed clean
- about 1/3 or 1/2 C. canned chili
- 1 slice American cheese, or other grated or sliced cheese
- optional: diced tomato, chives, or shredded lettuce as toppings
- Either bake the potato in the oven (if you’re making a lot of them) or microwave it for about 5 minutes, or until easily punctured with a fork.
- Heat chili in the microwave or on the stove top until hot.
- Slice the potato open in half, length ways… and be careful because they can get pretty hot!
- Spoon chili onto the potato and top with cheese (and other toppings of choice).